Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living?

      Those who live their life without examining it and asking questions are not worthy of life.  That's essentially what Socrates is saying and I don't agree with that.  I don't think that constant introspection and asking questions about life necessarily makes you more deserving of life than those who do not.  I feel that Socrates says this because he believed that the purpose of human life was personal and spiritual growth. We are unable to grow toward greater understanding of our true nature unless we take the time to examine and reflect upon our life. Examination of your own life is good but that doesn't automatically deem your life worth living.  Examining your life and contemplating it can make your life better but maybe your life is already pretty good and you don't have to examine it. Does that make your life of less value than any other? Maybe Socrates just worded this very bluntly since you know he was moments away from death when he said this quote.  Perhaps Socrates was implying that if you lived your life in guilt or denial it would only end in futility.  It would not be worth living in the sense that a life full of guilt cannot achieve anything but torment.  If this was what he was implying then I would totally agree.  But the way that "The unexamined life is not worth living" is worded just gives me the vibe that if you are not constantly evaluating your life and what choices are wrong or right, your life is not worth living.  I cannot agree with him in the way I am interpreting this quote. Maybe there are more interpretations such as the one I brought up about guilt and denial but the most blunt interpretation is the one I cannot agree with.

4 comments:

  1. I think Socrates is getting at value of life lived not whether or not someone is deserving to live. Is that a little less blunt for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does make it much less blunt for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luis, I like how you how you brought up Socrates' perspective of writing this quote when he was moments away from death. I agree with the point you made about how examination of your life is good but doesn't make it worth living. Thanks for opening up my eyes to this different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it was very blunt but what I take from it is that we should examine all of the faults in our lives in order to correct them and live a life worthy of living, not just necessarily guilt or denial.

    ReplyDelete